Sunday, March 25, 2007

Perfect Strangers

Today was a very unusual day.. I couldn't stop thinking about it. Okay, here goes :
- The 1st event :
I was in the tube on the way to Oakwood to go riding this morning (in some unearthly hour early in the morning, when the whole world is still asleep)... I was sitting next to this elderly man, wearing glasses and jumper,reading a thick novel. His apperance reminded me of a lecturer or a professor in a university. He looks like the nice, grandfatherly type. We boarded the tube in Kings cross together. I fell asleep..and woke up quite panicky cos i thought i had missed my stop. He must've noticed the worried look in my face as i tried to find out what the next station is. Then to my amazement, he said "Don't worry, I was planning to wake you up when we reach Oakwood anyway". Me,"Oh how do you know I was heading to Oakwood??", him "I can tell from your clothes that you are going riding", me "Oh thank you that was so kind of you". No, I didn't miss my station cos we're still like.. 2 station away from Oakwood. And yes, anyone can definitely tell i am going riding due to the fact i'm wearing my mud-covered boots and carrying a lethal-looking long riding whip. Anyway, after that short conversation above, we didn't talk anymore and we both got off in Oakwood and parted there. It was strange but nice, to think that he even thought of waking me up so I didn't miss my stop.
- The 2nd event :
It was around 11pm.. late morning. I finished riding and was waiting for the tube to come. I was standing in the platform...soaking up the morning sun (yes it did get quite nicely warm today in the morning). When I was just about to sit down (cos the tube took ages to come), a lady came and asked me, she "Did we just miss the tube?", me "yup, but i think the next one should be here in five minutes or so", she "Did you have a nice time riding today?", me "Yes, very much indeed..blablabla..". That was what started our almost 1/2 hour long conversation in the tube later on. Her name was Nasrni. She is from East Africa, came to UK 15 yrs ago, and now she's married with two kids. Her appearance was something like a housewife/working woman mixture kind of look (i think she's in her early 50s). We talked about general things. I mentioned to her about my studies and my liking in horses. She has a friend who just graduated from Imperial too. Then a few other general stuff about living and studying in England, work opportunities for foreigners and stuff. She runs her own accounting consultancy company of some sort. Turns out she lives just right across Trent Park Equestrian (that's the riding school where i went) and used to take her boys to ride there when they were younger, but their interest in riding only last for a short while. We talked all the way in the tube, until we parted ways in Kings Cross as I got off to change for the Victoria line. She gave me her business card too.
- The 3rd event :
It was just now, tonight. I was on my way home from work. I just came out from Pimlico tube station when i saw two lost-looking asian girls, backpackers, trying to use the public telephone. One of them catches my eye at the same time, and she called me over. She "Excuse me", me "Yes?"(a bit wary at first), she "Do u know why this telephone doesn't work?" (showing me the telephone and coins). Me "ermm no..why? can i help you?" (err..yeah i have no idea how to actually use the public phone. true). Turns out they wanted to give their friend a call to ask him directions to his place. So, I lend them my mobile. I do aware that that was quite a stupid action of me, i mean..hello, lending ur mobiles to some random stranger you met on the street? (this is Irma's reaction when i told her). I don't know, i am usually very wary and suspicious to strangers, even though they're friendly and all (due to the fact that i live in jakarta, where we naturally learn since young NOT to be trusting as thieves and pickpockets and muggers have 1001 ways to deceive you). Ok, story continued, she showed me the number, i dialled it in my mobile, ringtone, a guy answered, then i pass the phone to her. She talked to him, figure out that they needed to get to Vauxhall bridge, the riverside. I drew them a map how to walk there (its not far from pimlico tube really, 5-7 min walk). Then i said goodbye and left. They were japanese, around my age i guess. but that's all i knew, we didn't chitchat or made any other small talk at all.
Okay, after this third event.. I was really puzzled. I must've still looked a bit dazed when i get back home, cos irma asked what happened. I mean, i do meet strangers once in a while..chitchat..interact and stuff. But this one, THREE PERFECT STRANGERS in a day! Is this some kind of sign from Above? but what does this mean? (okay im just talking crap, pls dont listen). Anyway, ya the point is..it is just so unusual. Three..three..in one day. And its in london! i mean, if this happens while i was travelling or somthing, then it wasn't unusual. but this is london, where people are usually didn't take notice of others. Busy and rushing everywhere. No eye contact, no hellos, no good mornings were ever heard between us, the city commuters, during the the rush hours when we boarded the tube. This is London.
What an unusual day.