Sunday, August 22, 2010

Greetings from Cambridge


Hello all !
Can't believe I have abandoned this blog since January ! Today is 22nd of August.. therefore it has been about 8 months of me not writing anything here. Okay updates :

January 2010 - moved out from our old flat in London February - April 2010 - back home in Indonesia (fantabulous time with the horses! had a 50-50 heart to go back to the UK because I do NOT want to leave Kim, Chief and Zinnie *sobs*) April - August 2010 (current) - started my PhD in Plant Sciences, University of Cambridge. So now I have moved officially to Cambridge :)

To sum up in a few words ..
Cambridge is a LOT different than London. It is so small - EVERYWHERE is near. Literally. Oh and I cycled to work here. well, to be precise, I cycled everywhere here. And you can be..wherever you want in about 15 mins max. The most important thing is that so far, the majority of people (and new friends) (and new housemates) (and new lab mates) that I have met are lovely :)
Having moved around for the past 7 years has taught me one thing well : it does not matter how crappy your room is, your house is, etc. as long as there are friends to share things with at the end of the day. Good friends are rare, and for the precious few that you have - you should hang on to them :) . Oh and do NOT ever take anything for granted. full stop.

Okay back to Cambridge...
well to be honest the first few weeks I was here, I missed London a LOT a LOT. I missed my old life. Damn how I missed my old uni, Imperial! and THE LIBRARY. My lovely library corner..
..but as weeks goes on, I started to get used to my new life here. Working 8-6pm in lab Mon-Fri, Sat-Sun usually either in London or in Cambridge :)
My house here is lovely :) . I am sharing a graduate student house, that belongs to my College (Newnham College) , with 7 other girls - so in total there are 8 of us girls in the house. One kitchen and dining room, two bathrooms (thank goodness lol), and the best thing : one laundry and drying room! with spacious area to hung our clothes out to dry :) I love doing laundry so that explains.

New housemates : Adele :) a British girl who ALSO RIDES HORSES - enough said. lol. She is great, a real easygoing person. Even though her and my sense of direction are both REALLY bad. We go to this stable, Hilltop Equestrian, once a week to have riding lessons. Guess what, we got terribly lost the first time we went there! and in addition, we also got lost on our way BACK to Cambridge ..lol. Managed to arrive in another completely different city (nearby though, phew).

Marina, a Masters student from Uzbekistan. She is nice too, sadly she has moved out now.. went back home to Tashkent. Then Crystal, a medics student from Singapore.

There are loooooaaaaaddsssss moreee that I want to write here..
but sadly..
I have to go back to my stats!!

oh on another note, earlier today - I went to a pool party + volleyball + bbq at Christ's College (thanks Ardi and Miranda for inviting!) , it was fun !!!! Never thought I can actually withstand swimming outside in this kind of weather lol. but its great :)
Okies good night people xxx