Thursday, June 14, 2007

Historical..moment?

I was cleaning my room just now, i came across a framed picture of me and chief..then i saw the date : 04/06/99. It means 8 years ago. Then i went blog-browsing, came across an entry which about the riots in May 1998. Its been exactly 10 years ago now, yet it was still so vivid in my memory. What i remembered was, it was a hot afternoon.. I was in school. School was not supposed to end yet, but a few parents came and picked up their children..my classmates. We were not too sure what happened, but i overheard our teachers saying that the roads started to be blocked everywhere..so we have to go home soon otherwise we might be at risk of unable to go home. My elementary school was in south jakarta..riots started in north jakarta, but it spread out quickly to central area as well. My mom picked me up not long after that, I remembered exactly what she wore on that day as well..her green emeral colour work suit. We went home, luckily we still managed to went home. Dad came home soon after. I rememberd, at night we were worried because one of my older cousin, ko John... had not yet came home. His university, Trisakti, was the main area where the students protested against Suharto. A few..three? or more? of the students were shot that day in the campus. He came home late and he told us he was stuck in one of the classroom during the day, because the police barricaded the campus perimeter. In the end they were able to leave thankfully. Those same night, i remembered mom told me to pack an overnight bag..just in case. I carried my new riding helmet everywhere because during that time, that was my most precious possesion for me. Dad and wasudi went with all the guys who lived in our complex..patrolling our neighbourhood to prevent the mass from breaking in. The neighbourhood next to ours were not so lucky, some houses were broken into and the mass just took everything they found. Lucky our neighbourhood didnt. We were stuck in the house for ..2-3 days? and it was the time for final exam for elementary school..so it was postponed. When we came back to school..i remembered the school president, arif..the guy whom i had crush on for like ages back then..asked me to write a poem for this other school...Theresia or Sanur ..Tere i think. which got some part of their building burnt down..and a few of the nuns injured as the mass set the school campus on fire. It feels a bit funny now if i look at the history textbook for school children in indo..they will have a chapter about this riot, when the reformation began.. its weird knowing that i actually was there, experienced that ..mm..historical change i guess. oh well..so much for my mind wandering..gtg sleep now :)